• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

building muscle without eating more?

thujone

Bluelight Crew
next week, im gonna start training with an army friend of mine. i don't usually lift weights, and my diet is pretty light. i consume an average of 1500 calories a day, but i would like to see some gains in terms of muscle.

my diet is beneficial but i already allot a great deal of time to preparing my food daily, so i'm unwilling to sacrifice either more time out of my day or deviate from my diet to get whatever extra i'll need to build mass.

in conclusion, my question is: what can i drink to get all my muscle-building nutrients?

protein shake is a no-brainer, but am i supposed to consume a daily amount of protein by my current weight or by the weight i'm aiming for?

i know some of the muscle-bound BLers know a bunch of other supplements that improve mass building, which of those are the most crucial? could someone streamline it for me?

you cant get massive without eating massive, you can get ripped without eating much it just means you'll have to up the cardio though

Most critical is protein. In my experience I don't do well without getting atleast 1gram of protein per pound of body weight but I think 2grams is even better.

As long as you're getting the protein, you're in good shape. The problem is: How do you consume that much protein per day? For me that's nearly 600grams of protein per day. Consuming that all in, say, chicken breast, would get me plenty of protein and a little fat but no carbs. Fat is sort of irrelevant (you need a small amount to function and its 9cals per gram) but essential is carbohydrates. I simply don't function well on low or no carbs. I don't feel like I can lift heavy, I have no endurance, and I feel like crap all day but especially in the gym.

So I simply aim for my 600grams of protein per day and get some oatmeal for carbohydrates when I wake up and before I work out. As long as I accomplish that I'm happy but realistically if I want to grow I know I need to eat 6,000 cals per day or more. Which is hard so I may do it for awhile and then back down a bit.

6000 calories!? 8o im not looking to pack on enough meat to lift a car over my head haha. well thanks for the advice, im gonna try to aim for 150g of protein to start and see if i can use it all up

TONS of protein. And eat oatmeal for carbs. Protein and carbs are key! At least 1gm of protein for 1 lbm of body weight and just eat a ton of carbs as well.

Gotta eat big to get big. If you don't eat more calories than you burn you're not gonna put on weight.

Whatever your preparing, make twice as much. Eat the second portion 2 hours after the first.

Most critical is protein. In my experience I don't do well without getting atleast 1gram of protein per pound of body weight but I think 2grams is even better.

As long as you're getting the protein, you're in good shape. The problem is: How do you consume that much protein per day? For me that's nearly 600grams of protein per day. Consuming that all in, say, chicken breast, would get me plenty of protein and a little fat but no carbs. Fat is sort of irrelevant (you need a small amount to function and its 9cals per gram) but essential is carbohydrates. I simply don't function well on low or no carbs. I don't feel like I can lift heavy, I have no endurance, and I feel like crap all day but especially in the gym.

So I simply aim for my 600grams of protein per day and get some oatmeal for carbohydrates when I wake up and before I work out. As long as I accomplish that I'm happy but realistically if I want to grow I know I need to eat 6,000 cals per day or more. Which is hard so I may do it for awhile and then back down a bit.

I think Carbohydrate is more important than protein in the diet. If you don't eat enough carbs, you're wasting your time with all that protein as your body will just burn it like fuel and protein is not a particularly good fuel.

Also, if you don't eat enough carbs/fat your body will catabolise readily.

My diet checklist:

1. Eat enough carbs. Stops your body from eating itself and provides the energy required to build mass.
2. Eat some protein. Eggs are a great way to get in protein. Way cheaper than protein shakes and probably better for you too. it is very easy to boil up a few eggs in the morning and eat them with your meals. Have your normal breakfast, plus an egg. Normal dinner plus an egg or egg white, it's easy. Eggs have a 2:1 protein:fat ratio. Half the protein is in the yolk, half in the albumin, the fat is all in the yolk, easily removed if you so wish.

If that was tldr i'll rephrase: You wont gain muscle ewating 1500 cals a day. You need to bump that up a bit. It does not matter where these calories come from. Protein is the worst source of calories and also the most expensive, carbohydrate is the best, so DONT FORGET THE CARBS!

And don't forget the Cardio either, you will gain muscle a lot quicker if you do cardio too cause it boosts your metabolic rate and lifting doesn't really.

thanks, that's an interesting note about the carbs. will definitely up my eggs intake, as it is pretty painless to boil up a few and eat them whenever :)

next week, im gonna start training with an army friend of mine. i don't usually lift weights, and my diet is pretty light. i consume an average of 1500 calories a day, but i would like to see some gains in terms of muscle.

my diet is beneficial but i already allot a great deal of time to preparing my food daily, so i'm unwilling to sacrifice either more time out of my day or deviate from my diet to get whatever extra i'll need to build mass.

in conclusion, my question is: what can i drink to get all my muscle-building nutrients?

protein shake is a no-brainer, but am i supposed to consume a daily amount of protein by my current weight or by the weight i'm aiming for?

i know some of the muscle-bound BLers know a bunch of other supplements that improve mass building, which of those are the most crucial? could someone streamline it for me?

you will not build mass without putting more mass in your body. this is called "physics."

these "mass building" suppliments contain shitloads of fat and calories. therefore, youre putting more mass into your body.

1500 calories will do nothing for you except hurt you. weightlifting with that sort of caloric intake will lead to ketosis and emaciation (think - labor slave that is fed gruel).

2000 is a minimum for doing any sort of exercise in your day. if youre weightlifting in order to gain mass, you prolly wanna hit 3000.

im all about protein supplements, but read carefully: SUPPLEMENTS. That means they supplement your DIET - which is your primary way of getting calories and nutrients.

everyone covered everything else pretty well. sorry this isnt infomercial reality, you cant sit on ur ass with the ab blaster and get ripped. you have to work hard in a gym and work hard outside of it. imo the biggest pitfall to people new to mass gaining is their diet- rarely are they eating enough fats carbs and proteins.

eggs ftw. theres a reason why the German word for protein is "eggwhite." (side note: egg yolks contain ~50% of your daily cholesterol intake, skip out on those).

People have said it, but:
if you increase your caloric use without increasing your caloric intake, you WILL lose mass. Arguably, for various tactics, both gustatory and in terms of types of exercise, you can lead your body to select to burn fat over protein, but after getting lean to a certain point, which you've likely reached given your caloric dearth, you will catabolize significantly more muscle than you build.

Why not switch over to more calorically dense foods with a focus on protein rich items?

eggs ftw. theres a reason why the German word for protein is "eggwhite." (side note: egg yolks contain ~50% of your daily cholesterol intake, skip out on those).

Actually, a small amount of yolks should be included to retain eggs' very close correspondence or your body's 'ideal' amino acid ingestion profile. Additionally, the effect of dietary cholesterol on serum cholesterol pales in comparison to other factors, such as the ingestion of saturated fats.

ebola

badass. i shall leave a scraping on the insides of my hard boileds.

hmm interesting about the yolks. when i was big on eggs, i'd fry up two whole and deal with the cholesterol by eating some raw onion on the side. i had about 3000 cal yesterday. yogurt with millet puffs for breakfast, big carb lunch.. lots of brown rice, some beef, and dinner was an epic serving of brown rice with pinto beans, 300g+ salmon fillet, and two beef hot dogs. i'm getting all my vegetable intake through salads because i have no time to cook anything additional. i think it's working, i'm starting to get less sore.

dietary cholesterol should not be of concern to anyone who does not have high cholesterol levels.

Dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesteol levels, the majority of cholesterol in your blood is made in the body. Cardiovascular excercise has a larger impact on cholesterol levels than diet. Since you are getting that (or at least you should be!) cholesterol should be the least of your concerns.